- 1 bag Tortillas strip El Comal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium Anaheim, poblano chile, seeded, veins removed, chopped (Depending on the hotness and flavor desired.
- 4 cups chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (fire-roasted)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (fresh cheese)
Add the chopped onions to the pan, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chopped chile and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until the onions and chiles have softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the broth, tomatoes, and salt. Increase the heat to high, heat until the soup begins to boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and cook until heated through.
To serve, pit, peel, and cut the avocado into 1-inch pieces. Divide half of tortilla strips (El Comal) among 4 individual serving bowls; ladle in soup. Top with tortilla strips among 4 individual serving bowls; ladle in soup. Top with avocado and cheese; garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cream.